“Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.” Isa.55: 4.
A leader must have a commanding influence. Leader makes people do, what they don’t like to do and make them enjoy doing it. The leader leaves nothing to chance, he daily fine tunes his leadership skills. Having carefully thought out his plan of action, the leader deliberately exerts special influence. His vision is deliberate (Even when he receives a divine call he responds). His choice of group is deliberate. His selection of goals is deliberate his assessment of the real needs of the group is deliberate. Leadership is the discipline of deliberately exerting special influence within a group to move it toward goals of beneficial permanence that fulfill the groups real needs. Leadership is a discipline. It is hard work. It takes effort and concentration, it takes staying power. Leadership is deliberate.
- Leading is the ability to cause people to take effective action towards the leaders vision or the group common goals.
- Looking through Webster Dictionary leadership is defined in this way: “It is the ability to lead.”
To be a leader you must be able to lead, you are not a leader by virtue of your position. You are a leader by virtue of your performance.
Those who occupy position without the ability to lead are just there temporary, until those with leadership ability comes in and take over, because people follow leadership good or bad.
To be a leader, you may not even have a little, if you have the leadership ability and skills, without little you will still be the most significant leader.
Webster say that the verb “To Lead” means “To Show the way, to conduct, to guide, to direct the course of another by going before or along with.
- A leader is one who does two things. First, he knows where is going. He has a clear-cut objective.
Second, he is able to persuade others to go along with him. And it is the balance of these two objectives and motivations that determines your success as a leader. Many people have great ability to stir the imaginations of people and gather a following, but they really don’t know where they are going, such leaders will lead people down a blind alley. Some other know precisely where they are going and they are going to the right place but they cannot persuade others to go along with them, because they lack the ability to lead. To succeed as a leader you must know where you are going, you must be able to make people to follow you.
“Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” 1 Cor.11: 1
- One major strand of leadership is conceptual. By that I mean, a leader is a person deeply infected with a concept, an idea, a cause or a vision. Nehemiah had a vision of rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem, he moved the people towards that direction, despite oppositions.
“Then said I unto them, ye see the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lieth waste, and the gates thereof are burned with fire: come and let us build up the wall of Jerusalem that we be no more a reproach … and they said, let us rise up and build. So they strengthened their hands for this good work.” Neh.2: 17-18.
They re-built the wall, because one men had the vision and he successfully moved the people towards the actualization of his vision. That is leadership.
- The second aspect, there is a relational element. A good leader needs to have interest in the people. He must love the people the love must be genuine, real, practical, sacrificial and beneficial. People don’t care how much you know, they are concern to know how much you care.
Don’t only think of what to get from the people, think of what you can give to the people. There welfare must be your concern. What do they stand to gain by associating with you?
“I am the good Shepherd: The good shepherd giveth his life for the Sheep: The hireling fleeth: Because he is an hireling, and careth not for the Sheep.” John 10: 11, 13.
Ask yourself as leader, do you love the people, enough that you can die for them. Do the people know that you love them? That you can do every thing for them. Even hurt yourself because of your followers.